Mission - Needs Power

Commitment to Mission

Acts 1:8a - But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses

Today we have the same verse as yesterday, but with a different perspective and focus. The power of the Holy Spirit.

I want to let you in on a secret (well not so secret now). I am frightened every time I am on my way to engage in any type of evangelism, whether it's preaching, or relational evangelism with a push to tell people about Jesus. It gets so bad sometimes I feel physically sick, fearful and uncertain.

But every time I have prayed for help and began to engage in the work of Jesus I have been gifted a 'power-up'. There has been a switch from sickness to settledness, fear to peace and uncertainty to power. Why? Because Jesus is alive and well and the Holy Spirit's power is a tangible reality to all those who know Jesus.

In today's verse Jesus tells his disciples that they will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon them. Not only do we have a personal relationship with Jesus, but when we are saved the Holy Spirit comes to dwell within us. He (The Holy Spirit) has a way of giving us a supernatural ability to boldly tell people about Jesus.

And when they had prayed, the place in which they were gathered together was shaken, and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and continued to speak the word of God with boldness. - Acts 4:31

When the early church prayed for boldness they were filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke the word of God with boldness. If you pray for boldness you will be filled with the Holy Spirit and be able to speak the word of God with boldness.

This gift was not just for a select few early believers. It's for you!

For the promise is for you and for your children and for all who are far off, everyone whom the Lord our God calls to himself. - Acts 2:39

We are far off from Jerusalem two thousand years ago, but you who are far off have been promised the gift of the Holy Spirit. He will give you the 'power-up' you need to speak the word of God with boldness.

Daily Bible Reading: Acts 4:23-31

Prayer: Father, if we try to do any kind of mission without the emboldening power of your Holy Spirit we will fail. We need power Lord. Father, I pray that as we begin to witness in our town and beyond you will put within us a boldness, unction and love that comes from you. Help us Lord I pray! Amen.

Dan Watson - Pastor / Elder - Staines Baptist Church

27th January 2020