Mission - All Things To All People

Commitment to Mission

1 Corinthians 9:22b - I have become all things to all people, that by all means I might save some.

How can you become "all things to all people"?

When the apostle Paul preached his sermon to the Greeks in Athens Acts 17:16-31, he challenged their pagan belief system and idolatry with the gospel. When he preached to the Jews of Antioch Acts 13:13-47, he challenged their misunderstanding of old testament prophecy arguing Jesus is the promised Messiah. Same gospel but a different approach based on cultural context.

The gospel of Jesus is unchanging, we don't modify the message to fit a cultural context. However, the presentation of the message will differ from culture to culture and person to person. We may need to modify how we dress, our language, and our focus on how we challenge peoples thinking with the gospel. A bit of advice from me: Start with love, be relevant, stay with love, keep Jesus in focus.

The gospel does translate into every language and culture. This means when we commit to mission... We commit to being students of local cultures and people. We must become all things to all people, that by all means some might be saved!

After this I looked, and behold, a great multitude that no one could number, from every nation, from all tribes and peoples and languages, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed in white robes, with palm branches in their hands, Revelation 7:9

Daily Bible Reading: 1 Corinthians 9:19-23

Prayer: Father, help us be all things to all people. Lord, we need to be able to reach people where they are with the truth of the gospel. Please grant us wisdom, knowledge and ability to move into the cultures around us so people trust your Son. Amen.

Dan Watson - Pastor / Elder - Staines Baptist Church

24rd January 2020