Church - In Recovery?

Commitment to Church

James 5:15 - Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working

One of the complaints I hear is that the church is full of hypocrites, and a friend of mine told me not so long ago "Your one of them". He is right! Every member of every church is a sinner. The only question is do they pretend to be otherwise.

None of us are righteous no not one Romans 3:10 and we can't start pretending that we are. We haven't got everything right, and we certainly have not attained some kind of sinless perfection. The apostle Paul (Yes! Paul!) felt this tension:

For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing. Romans 7:19

We are not saved by our works (things we do), but by the precious blood of Jesus Christ (we have His righteousness not our own). We should not pretend that it's any other way.

And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses, by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross. Colossians 2:13-14

True Christians don't think "OK, let's live it up in sin, we have the blood of Jesus", but we aim to please our Saviour. Which means being grieved over our sin and turning away from it. It's a life long pattern of repentance.

Because of this, we are a church in recovery. Don't turn up to church with a mask on! Come in knowing that you are in recovery and so is everyone else. As the scripture says "Confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed".

Commitment to church means commitment to confession, it also means commitment to praying and being gracious with each other because we are all recovering.

Daily Bible Reading: James 5:13-20

Prayer: Father, we often miss out on this act of confession due to fear of being exposed or someone reacting badly. Lord, keep us safe in confession! Grant us grace to be good listeners and good prayers when someone takes the bold step of confessing sin. May they be healed! Amen.

Dan Watson - Pastor / Elder - Staines Baptist Church

19th January 2020