Church - Why Singing?

Commitment to Church

Luke 1:46-47 - My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Saviour

This verse comes from a set of verses labelled Mary's Song Of Praise or The Magnificat. It's Mary breaking out into poetic song at the revelation she is to give birth to the Saviour.

Singing in church isn't just a tradition we adhere too. It starts with the knowledge that God loves us! So much, that He sent His only begotten Son to die in our place and pay the penalty for our sins. We will not taste the sting of death! Jesus conquered death when He rose on the third day. It starts there... with knowledge of salvation in Jesus.

As this knowledge is applied to our heart and soul by the power of the Spirit, we find ourselves wanting to rejoice in the wonderful truth that Jesus is Lord. It causes us to break out in song.

We see this in today's bible reading with Mary. Mary understood (gained knowledge) that she was chosen to give birth to the Saviour and it sparked a reaction within her. She broke out in song which is driven from her soul and spirit.

I know on a Sunday morning that we may find ourselves struggling to get to that place of heartfelt worship. Before 11 am we have had to get the kids ready, feed the dog, the car didn't start or any other number of things happened. You're probably not feeling that your in that place of heartfelt worship.

When this happens to you I want you to remember something: Heartfelt worship starts with knowledge of the truth, just as it did with Mary. Take some time to remember that Jesus is still Lord, your sins are still covered, He is still seated at the right hand of God and He still loves you. Find them and mark them in your bible so you can easily access them. Fill your mind with these truths and the Holy Spirit will apply them to your heart, it will spill over into heartfelt worship!

Daily Bible Reading: Luke 1:46:55

Prayer: Lord, I pray that as our minds are filled with the knowledge of salvation our souls would magnify You. May our spirit rejoice in Jesus our Savior. I pray, grant us heartfelt, Spirit empowered worship in song. Amen.

Scriptures:

1. Jesus is Lord - Revelation 19:16
  2. Sins are covered - Ephesians 1:7
  3. Jesus seated at the right hand of God - Romans 8:34
  4. Jesus still loves you - John 15:9

Dan Watson - Pastor / Elder - Staines Baptist Church

17th January 2020