Church - The Family

Commitment to Church

Ephesians 2:19 - So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God.

In today's bible reading the apostle Paul explains to the Ephesian church that both Jewish and non-Jewish people have been made one. There is no longer a divide. The promises of God are for all people as they put their trust in Jesus and are brought together by his blood.

Notice this bringing together of people in Ephesians 2:19 means that we are "members of the household of God".

Within this new household, there is a Father, our Father in Heaven. There are also other members of the household, brothers, sisters and mothers.

For whoever does the will of God, he is my brother and sister and mother.” Mark 3:35

The church is a family within a household! When you think about the people at Staines Baptist, they are your brothers, sisters and mothers.

In biological families we are related through a bloodline, within this Kingdom family, we are related by the blood of Jesus Christ.

We have a blood brought bond with one another. The words "one another" are found 100 times in the New Testament and 47 of those times its instruction on how we the church are to treat "one another". Over and over again we are told to "Love one another", "Bear one another's burdens" and "Forgive one another". Of course the scriptures ask these attitudes and actions of us... We are brothers and sisters in Christ.

Commitment to church means a commitment to a wider family outside just your biological family. It's a commitment of love, forgiveness and bearing each other's burdens. But most of all it's a commitment to Jesus, He is the one who holds the family together in His blood!

Daily Bible Reading: Ephesians 2:11-22

Prayer: Father, may we understand what it means to be members of your household, no longer strangers but adopted into Your family. I pray no one feels like a stranger at Staines Baptist, but are encouraged in the knowledge that in Christ we are brothers and sisters. I hope Lord, we can live out your word "Behold, how good and pleasant it is when brothers dwell in unity!". Amen.

Dan Watson - Pastor / Elder - Staines Baptist Church

14th January 2020