Church - Christ's Church

Commitment to Church

Matthew 16:18 - I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

When I talk to Christians, they will often refer to a church as "my church".

Identifying and belonging to a church is of utmost importance, it is where you are known, loved and fed on Gods word. It's together we live out our Christian faith, there are no "lone rangers" in the kingdom of God.

At the same time, there is a danger in using language to describe a church as my church.

Never forget that the church is Jesus' church! "I will build my church" says Jesus. Not "I will build your church".

Recognising that the church belongs to Jesus is primary. He created it, died for it and rules it.

The word church in the original Greek language, Ekklēsia, means assembly. The church is not a building or an organisation. It's an assembly of believers gathering around Jesus Christ.

Commitment to church is commitment to Jesus. Sure, this Sunday you will walk into a building, it's known as Staines Baptist Church... But behind the bricks and the label, we are a gathering of people who worship Jesus as Lord.

Daily Bible Reading: Matthew 16:13-20

Prayer: Father, thank you that Jesus has built His church and the gates of hell will not prevail against it. As we gather Lord, cause us to remember at all times it's not our church, but yours. May this knowledge penetrate our hearts and spring up into glorious fellowship and worship. Amen.

Dan Watson - Pastor / Elder - Staines Baptist Church

11th January 2020