Follow Jesus - With Joy

Commitment to Christ

John 15:11 - These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.

I have a question for you. Do you have joy? When I say joy I do not mean happiness. Happiness is something that comes and goes based on circumstance, but true joy is something different.

Who's Joy?

Look at today's verse: "that my joy may be in you". The source of true joy does not start with your joy. It starts with Jesus' joy. It's His joy in you!

After this, he says "that your joy may be full". So by receiving Jesus joy, then, in turn, your joy may be full.

What Is Joy

Joy doesn't have a simple definition, underneath the word joy in the bible various Greek and Hebrew words paint different pictures of joy.

I want to speak from experience to express what Christian joy is like.

It is a deep assurance. A settled contentment to circumstances and situations we find ourself in. It is there in the middle of both chaos and ease. It's a strength beyond our own ability and understanding. It springs up into praise and worship. It's Christ in us!

I have felt this joy in the strangest of situations, during dental procedures, wheeling Jacob (my son) down into the operating theatre and watching a sunset on Palm Beach California. The joy of Jesus has been there.

You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore. - Psalm 16:11

But as Jesus said... it's His joy in you! Which is why Psalm 16:11 says "in your presence there is fullness of joy". Which means you need to be connected to Jesus!

Commitment to Christ means connection to Christ! Connection to Christ means a nearly inexplicable joy. A peace that surpasses understanding, a hope that will never fail and an assurance that is so deep routed your soul will rest easy.

Daily Bible Reading: John 15:1-17

Prayer: Father, please allow both our minds and hearts understand true joy. The joy found in your Son. May this joy override every circumstance, trial and situation that arises against us. We pray that as we grasp true joy it would overflow into our worship, fellowship and ministries. Amen.

Dan Watson - Pastor / Elder - Staines Baptist Church

9th January 2020