Follow Jesus - By The Spirit

Commitment to Christ

John 14:26 - But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.

In this verse, Jesus is about to go away. He tells his disciples that soon the world will see him no more, but not to worry because another is being sent in his name. The Helper, the Holy Spirit.

The Holy Spirit has been gifted to us for a primary purpose. To glorify Jesus. As the verse said he will teach you and bring to remembrance Jesus!

Contrary to what many think, he is not here to do parlour tricks to entertain audiences on God TV or any other such nonsense. Whenever the Spirit moves it's always to make Jesus known, lifting Him up as the true Saviour of mankind.

It is impossible to be committed or even to know Jesus without knowing the Holy Spirit. Knowing him so intimately because he dwells within you!

Here are four truths about the character and nature of the Holy Spirit that I pray will help you commit to Jesus more deeply:

1. He is a He. He is God.

The Holy Spirit is not an it but a he. In today's verse it says "he will teach you all things". He is a member of the Trinity and truly God.

This is an important truth as it allows us to understand the motivation of the Holy Spirit. It's the same motivation of both the Father and the Son. Love for mankind. The persons of the Trinity show this love to us by glorifying each other.

In John 17:1 Jesus asks his Father to glorify him so that he may in turn may glorify the Father. Just like in todays verse where the Spirit will glorify the Son by bringing Him to remembrance.

With the Father, Son and Spirit all shining light on each other it is no wonder people turn to Jesus in repentance and faith!

1. He causes people to see

In John 3 Jesus explains to a guy called Nicodemus that to see the kingdom of God you must be born again. Nicodemus was perplexed by how this happens. How can people be truly inside Gods kingdom? How can someone be born again? Jesus explains it's by the work of the Spirit:

John 3:5 Jesus answered, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. 6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. 7 Do not marvel that I said to you, 'You must be born again.' 8 The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear its sound, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit."

If you are ever scared about witnessing to a person you should know this... The Spirit blows where he wishes! That persons conversion to see Jesus does not rest on your ability to convince them, but rests firmly in Gods power! Jesus will receive His reward!

1. He works godliness into the character of believers

The same Spirit who is God and also has the power to open the eyes of unbelievers dwells within you! As Paul says "Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?" - 1 Corinthians 3:16

This is very good news indeed! It means we are operating on a new fuel, the fuel of the Holy Spirit. Because the Spirit is God he is Holy, which means he is working holiness and godliness in you.

In a letter to the Galatians, the apostle Paul explains that the Spirit is working good things within believers. "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law" - Galatians 5:22–23

I know the battle is real and both you and I don't see the fullness of these characteristics in us to a perfect degree. But let me tell you from both experience and because the bible tells me... Fear not, for you will not be ashamed;

Struggling with sin and patterns of sin? Remember you have the Spirit dwelling in you. Sin will not win, it cannot win! Jesus will be glorified!

1. He gives gifts to the church

The Holy Spirit gives gifts for the common good - 1 Corinthians 12:7.

Paul has the church firmly in mind in 1 Corinthians 12, just take a look at the context of the chapter and the entire letter to the Corinthians.

We must remember who the church is... The bride of Christ! The Holy Spirit gives gifts to the Church to glorify the Lords bride! To make her attractive and able to do the work of Christ. Gifts so her people are able to go into all creation and preach the gospel (there is that fuel again). Why? To glorify the Lord Jesus.

Daily Bible Reading: John 14:15-31

Prayer: Father I pray we understand the power of the Holy Spirit as revealed in the scriptures. His diversity Father is amazing! Thank you that he is teaching us truth, bringing to remembrance things Jesus has said and opening the eyes of the unbelieving. I pray we would know all the diverse outpourings of His power and earnestly desire them as a church. Amen.

Dan Watson - Pastor / Elder - Staines Baptist Church

6th January 2020