Follow Jesus - The Bible

Commitment to Christ

John 8:31-31 - So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed him, "If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Jesus has an expectation. It's an expectation of every person that follows him. "If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples". Jesus expects his followers to be saturated and remain in his teaching. This becomes one of the markers (or fruit) of a true believer in Jesus.

Someone once said to me "So that's just the stuff Jesus said right?". By this, they meant the direct quotes from the lips of Jesus. Unfortunately, the view they were taking of bible was completely inaccurate.

The bible tells us that "All scripture is God-breathed" - 2 Timothy 3:16-17. This means that every word written is from God and inspired by God. We don't just get to pick the parts we like and disregard the parts we don't. It's given to us by God who cannot lie - Hebrews 6:18. It's all authoritative and all true.

That's why the next part of the verse says "and you will know the truth". Without reading the bible your not going to know the truth. People may tell you things about Jesus (which may or may not be true) but you will never have a standard to measure their words against. You will be in grave danger of being led astray by false teachers (of which there are many) which will eventually end up with you not being set free, but placed in bondage to all kinds of error.

Those who are committed to Jesus, just want Jesus, the true Jesus who is set out in the bible His sheep hear his voice and know him they will not follow another John 10:27, John 10:5

Commitment to Jesus means commitment to reading the bible. If that's not happening in your life there is no better day than today to make a change! I pray you would commit to seeking the truth found in the scriptures because the truth will set you free!

Daily Bible Reading: John 8:31-38

Prayer: Father I pray you would help us to commit to reading the bible and understand the truth that is found there. Lord when we are challenged by your word and it calls us to repent of our own misguided thoughts, actions and deeds, please help us to turn back to you and your ways. Lord, I pray you set us free. Amen.

Dan Watson - Pastor / Elder - Staines Baptist Church

5th January 2020