Jesus saved us

Commitment to Christ

Titus 3:5a - He saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy

Do you know that God has saved you who believe from eternal torment. There are no words in the English language to describe the miseries of hell to their fullest extent! But let me tell you it's not good and it's forever!

Fortunately, the joy we can have right now is summed up in the first three words of Titus 3:5 - "He saved us". And let me tell you we need saving!

Instead of seeking God and loving him, you and I have rebelled against him and done wrong. As the bible says "There are none that are righteous no not one (Romans 3:10)". So none of us can say we deserve a place in eternity with God by the things we have done, we would have to be perfect in all our thoughts, words and actions for that!

This is why the next bit of the verse is so important "not because of works done by us in righteousness but according to his own mercy".

God in his great love and mercy has provided a saviour so that we can be forgiven. God sent his Son the Lord Jesus Christ, who lived a perfect life and died on the cross taking on himself the punishment for the sin of all those who will turn and trust him.

Now when God looks at us He no longer sees our sin and rebellion but sees the righteousness of His Son Jesus.

When Paul writes to the Philippines he describes this wonderful truth like this: "and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith".

I can't express how committed God is to you! So committed he endured the agonies of the cross. I want to ask you. Are you committed to Him as he is committed to you?

Daily Bible Reading: Titus 3:1-8

Prayer: Lord thank you for a righteousness that is not our own. We know we could not stand before you without the forgiveness granted to us. I pray that we would see the agonies of the cross that Jesus endured and recognise that he deserves our time, attention, worship and praise. Amen.

Dan Watson - Pastor / Elder - Staines Baptist Church

3rd January 2020