Jesus is the way

Commitment to Christ

John 14:6 - Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Commitment to Jesus means knowing Jesus. No one can commit to a person they do not know. Thankfully God has revealed to us in His word everything we need to know for life and godliness through our Lord Jesus. If you want to know Jesus. Read your bible!

In today's passage, Jesus explains that he is the way people come to the Father. You will notice he doesn't say that he is a way but the way. "No one can come to the Father except through me" says Jesus.

There are many people who find this truth unpalatable. They say "Surely there can't just be one way people can come to God!". I always find this kind of response strange because there are many processes in the function of life that are one way.

For example, there is only one way for you to keep living... you have to take a breath. There is only one way the oxygen from that breath will reach the cells of your body, your heart will need to take a beat. Truly creation testifies about its creator (Romans 1:20)!

Just as these processes for biological life are one way, it is also true that eternal life comes only one way. Through the death, burial and resurrection of King Jesus.

I pray that you would commit yourselves to the only way. Through faith in our Lord Jesus Christ.

Daily Bible Reading: John 14:1-14

Prayer: Father you have set before us your Son as the only path to you. We thank you for giving us such a beautiful, joyful and satisfying way of salvation. Forgive us Lord where we have looked for our own ways to find life, joy and happiness outside of Jesus. Cause us Lord to commit to Jesus with all of our heart, mind, soul and strength. Amen.

Dan Watson - Pastor / Elder - Staines Baptist Church

2nd January 2020